The baby colic is characterized by an intense and inconsolable crying of the baby, especially at the end of the day with irritation and tension in the abdominal area.
This affectation that appears in babies can be due to several causes:
- Gastrointestinal: caused by the immaturity of the digestive system or the creation of the bacterial flora, among others. This happens during the first three months.
- Psychological: many times an inadequate environment can generate stress in the baby.
- Allergies and / or food intolerances.
The gastrointestinal problems of the baby can be treated with physiotherapy, contributing to this process of intestinal maturation as well as teaching parents a series of techniques so that they know how to act in times of crisis of the baby.
With specialized physiotherapy in baby colic, we help the baby to have a better adaptation to the growth of their organism: with the mobilization of stool in cases of constipation, the expulsion of gases (since the anal reflex is not yet active and the baby tends to accumulate gases), reflux, hiccup…
The physiotherapist actively participates in these cases until the baby is able to manage it with maturity. It is very important the collaboration of parents in their daily life so that the evolution is adequate, following the guidelines established by the unit of physiotherapy specialized in baby colic.
What should we do in physiotherapy sessions for babies?
We must look at babies as a whole since they will usually show several pathologies, for example constipation and reflux are the most common.
During the session to treat baby colic through physiotherapy we perform:
- Mobilization of the intestine to help evacuate and activate the physiological movements, so that babies internalize these and learn until they are able to do it on their own.
- Fascia work to release tension in the affected area and thus we will achieve relaxation and better motility.
- Diaphragmatic work to release pressure on the pit of the stomach area, which often causes gastro-oesophageal reflux.
- Global work of the baby in case of decompensation that could be affecting the pathology. With all this work at a global level, babies will notice a relaxation and a better well-being that will affect their rest and mood.
At Policlínica del Río-Hortega we work with baby colic through specialized physiotherapy. 3 to 4 sessions will suffice to overcome this bitter taste.